Golf has been played longer and more continuously in Peterborough than anywhere else in North America.
The defining moment for the origin of the Club was a Mixed Ball Tournament held on the Victoria Day weekend in 1897. Finally, in Peterborough, golf was played as it ought to be, on grass greens. The Club began its first season on a four hole course on Burnham Point, a spit of land that juts into Little Lake, at the heart of what was then the Town of Peterborough.
In the 1898 season, the Club moved to Auburn Hill, adjacent to the Trent Canal then under construction in this section. The Club never moved again, although the course and the Clubhouse both changed many times. For the first twenty years the layout of the 2,800 yard nine hole course never changed.
In 1917, the course acquired the land known to most today as the 8th and 11th holes. The Club acquired the Beechwood property to the north, and doubled the Clubs' holdings to about 110 acres.
Stanley Thompson, the premier golf course architect of the 1920's and holder of the course record at the PETERBOROUGH GOLF and COUNTRY CLUB, was engaged, 1929 - 31, to design an 18 hole layout. The 6,300 yard course had all the Thompson trademarks for strategic golf.
Since 1959, the PGCC has been an all season operation, anchored on golf and curling with our four sheet rink, and the Clubhouse has been improved and enlarged over the years.
With close to 1000 active members today, the Peterborough Golf & Country Club is #1 place where families, couples and individuals can enjoy the first class amenities that truly set our club apart.
Please come and join us today!